Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Into New Waters

Well, life with children is never dull, is it? Tyler got his cast off last week. What an experience! He really didn't like that too well, as the ENTIRE office could tell by his screams. He hated the saw. Anyway, now it's off and you'd think he'd be running around, happy as can be. NOPE! He can't walk at all! The tendons are so shortened that he can't really put his heel down to the ground so if he does attempt to walk, which is pretty much not at all, he can barely hop on his toes. So he just crawls. So, he will be starting Physical Therapy this week. PT with an 18 month old...that should be interesting!!!
AND, then that same little monkey decided to climb out of his crib!!! I heard something 'thud' and thought it was just his milk cup that he threw out, but then I heard him playing with the doorstop and went running, and sure enough, there he sat, on the floor, happy as can be. I don't think he's old enough for a big boy bed, so, all of you parents who have had this dilemma, what are your thoughts? I don't want him to get hurt by falling out, but I cannot imagine him actually staying in a toddler bed!
I have nothing much to report on Zachary. No news is good news! No broken legs, no climbing out of cribs....he's pretty status quo for right now and I'm enjoying that! I can only handle one major issue at a time anymore.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! He really climbed out of his crib? That's really scary! I have no advice for you, unfortunately, but when you get some, could you pass it on to me??? I wish you good luck with this one! At least he was ok and just playing!

Tiffany said...

He climbed out of his crib ALREADY? Don't let him whisper how to do that to Tristan, please! I'll research my Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book that was recommended to me by many a momma and if it has anything enlightening I'll shoot you an email.

Kaye said...

What a smart kid!!! I had this happen when I was a nanny. You'll have to
make the door dutch (in half) latch
bottom half outside so he's safe in
his room. He will play for awhile
then fall asleep. When you check on him just tuck him back in his crib.
but as smart as he is this is just
the beginning, just like his stairs
trick which was very cleaver!
Kaye

Kaye said...

I had this happen when I was a nanny
you'll have to make their bedroom
door into a dutch door (in half) so
the bottom latch's on the outside.
just be sure the room is childproof
he may play for a short time then will fall asleep while playing, when
you check on him latter just tuck him
back in bed. Tyler is super smart this is just the beginning like going
down the stairs, which was brilliant.
Kaye

Kelli said...

We made the decision as soon as Larissa climbed out, she went into a bed. She did that in June last summer so just over 18 months. They have crib tents that you can buy at burlington or babies r us so they can't climb out. My fear was that she was going to wrap her leg around the bars and get it stuck and break it when she climbed out. Hence the twin bed in her room now :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

How is the physical therapy working out? Poor little angel boy!

Sheila
halohill.blogspot.com