Monday, February 18, 2008

The Blue Cast

Well, its been an interesting few days. On Friday, Trish and I took the boys to the nearby elementary school to play in the grass at the playground. Of course, once out of the stroller, Tyler took off like a shot to the play equipment and beat us onto it. We think that his foot got caught in some of the equipment. So, on Saturday morning, we took him in as he couldn't put any weight on his foot. The nurse practitioner took some x-rays and said 'everything looks fine'. Then 3 hours later she calls me at home and says 'it looks like both bones are fractured. See your doctor Monday afternoon'.
I basically sit and worry until this morning when I call into the doctor to see if he has looked at the x-rays. His nurse tells me 'he doesn't see any fracture. But is he putting any weight on it?' The answer is no. So she consults with the doctor, who then says 'come see me'.
So we trek in this afternoon and he says 'well, there's no fracture on these films. But, I wonder if there's something above where we x-rayed'. So, back to the x-ray machine.
And sure enough, Tyler does have a broken leg. ABOVE where the other lady thought it was. He has a spiral fracture that is below the knee. Basically it sounds like his foot got stuck and his leg twisted. Because it's a two-joint fracture (meaning that if either the knee or the ankle joints get moved, it will affect the break), Tyler gets this HUGE cast! So....fun, fun, fun. Not. Tyler gets this cast for 3 weeks, then it gets cut off for more x-rays, and he'll have another cast for 2-3 more weeks, depending on how it is healing.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers!

4 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Man Melissa, You'll do anything to slow that boy down!
Really I feel so bad for the little guy. I'll be praying.

Tina McAdams said...

Continued prayers coming your way...

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Poor little guy! And poor Mommy! I'll keep praying for you guys. :(

Tiffany said...

Oh my...how in the heck does he walk with that thing on? Has this put a damper on his stair-flying routine?

I can just read his thoughts, "Mom, why don't I get to take a bath too?" Poor kid!